Today we are going to talk about the importance of choosing sustainable means of transport, the different types of sustainable transport that we know, advice so that we can choose the most suitable means of transport for us as we have learned at the GMC, the international fair for Sustainable Mobility and the role of cities in promoting sustainable mobility.
Why is it important to choose sustainable means of transport?
While we may all have a general idea of why it is important to choose sustainable modes of transport, I detail all these ideas here:
- Reduction of polluting emissions: Fossil-fueled transport generates greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change and air pollution. By choosing sustainable means of transport, such as public transport, cycling or walking, the emission of these types of pollutants is considerably reduced.
- Improved air quality: Air pollution is a major problem in many cities around the world. Choosing sustainable means of transport can significantly improve air quality, reduce pollution levels and improve the health of the general population.
- Energy saving: Sustainable means of transport do not use polluting fuels or directly require no fuel, which means that they are not only more sustainable, but also cheaper. In this way, we can save energy and reduce transportation costs.
- traffic reduction: Traffic in cities is one of the biggest problems in terms of mobility. By choosing sustainable means of transport, the number of vehicles on the roads is reduced, which in turn reduces the levels of traffic congestion.
- Promotion of physical exercise: Choosing sustainable modes of transportation, such as walking and cycling, can support a healthier and more active lifestyle. In addition to personal health benefits, regular exercise can also reduce the need for medical treatment and improve quality of life.
Types of sustainable transport.
Among the different types of sustainable transport we can find:
- Public transport: a very popular and efficient means of sustainable transport. The bus, train or metro allow users to move around the city without using their own vehicle, thus reducing the number of cars on the roads and reducing air pollution. In addition, public transport is generally cheap and accessible to the majority of the population.
- bicycles: a very healthy and ecological alternative for getting around town. They do not emit polluting gases and allow users to stay active and fit. Many cities have begun to encourage the use of bicycles as a means of transport through the construction of cycle paths and secure parking lots.
- Electric vehicles: an increasingly popular option among those looking for more sustainable transport. They do not emit greenhouse gases and use electricity, which makes them more energy efficient. Additionally, many countries offer tax breaks and discounts for owners of electric cars.
- car sharing: a means of transport that allows users to rent cars for short periods. It can be an effective alternative for those who only need a car once in a while and don’t want to buy one to have it parked most of the time. Car sharing also reduces the number of cars on the road and encourages the sharing of resources.
- pedestrians: Walking is the most sustainable way to get around. No polluting gases are emitted, no energy is used, and it’s a healthy way to exercise. In addition, the walk is free and accessible to all.
Tips for choosing the most suitable means of transport for you
It is important to take into account several factors, such as the distance to be traveled, the availability of means of transport, the cost and the comfort. Here are some tips for choosing the most appropriate means of transport:
- think of the distance: If you need to travel a short distance, walking or cycling may be the most suitable option. If the distance is greater, public transport or carpooling may be more convenient options.
- Compare availability: Make sure you know the availability of the means of transport you want to use. For example, if you plan to use public transport, it is important to check timetables and routes to make sure they meet your needs.
- Compare costs: Be sure to include the cost of gas, vehicle maintenance, tolls and parking if you choose a private car. Public transport, bicycles and walking are often cheaper options.
- Value your comfort: If you prefer comfort and privacy, it may be better to opt for a private car. However, if you prefer to avoid traffic and the stress of driving, public transport or a bicycle may be more suitable options.
- Think about the environmental impact: Choosing a sustainable means of transport reduces your carbon footprint.
What role do cities have in promoting sustainable mobility?
Cities play a very important role in promoting sustainable mobility, since the policies and measures they adopt can influence the choice of means of transport by their inhabitants.
First, they can encourage the use of public transport by building infrastructure such as bus and train stations, rapid transit systems, and setting up fares and discounts for frequent users. Additionally, they can improve cycling infrastructure by building cycle lanes and secure bike parking, which encourages its use as a sustainable means of transport.
Another measure is the promotion of car-sharing, for which cities can support the establishment of car-sharing systems, providing incentives and regulations for the creation of companies and the management of the parking of these vehicles. They can also set up pedestrian zones, which are areas of the city reserved exclusively for pedestrians and bicycles, which encourage the use of sustainable means of transport and decrease car traffic.
In addition, they can promote environmental education and awareness through training campaigns that help people understand the importance of sustainable mobility and adopt changes in their transport habits. One idea is to do this type of activity in schools, institutes and universities.
They can also implement municipal policies, such as restricting vehicle traffic in urban areas, creating sustainable urban mobility plans and promoting the use of electric vehicles, which can have a significant impact on the promotion of sustainable mobility in cities. .