Today, veganism is a simple option to apply to your diet, because the options and possibilities are much more numerous than not so long ago. Among the most successful alternatives is vegan cheese, with more and more followers. Do you want to know more about this interesting food? we tell you What is vegan cheese made of? Vegan cheese guide and recipes
What is vegan cheese made of?
The question everyone asks themselves, when they hear about it, is simple and straightforward:What is vegan cheese made of?? Traditional cheese is known to be made from dairy products coming directly from cows, sheep or goats.
But,what is vegan cheese made of? In this case, it should be clear that vegan cheese is free of any animal products, so the basis of this food is nuts, vegetable oils and nutritional yeast. To put into context, the most used elements in the elaboration of vegan cheese are foods such as soy, nuts, coconut oil or peanuts.
Once we have the basics of vegan cheese, we can adjust flavor, elasticity, consistency and other elements using starches, gelling agents, thickeners or emulsifiers.
To doAnd how do you get the mild flavor of vegan cheese?? This point is given by both lemon like unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. And it is that, although many people do not believe it, the process of making many vegan cheeses is similar to that of traditional cheeses.
The big difference between the two is that vegetable proteins are eliminated from vegan cheeses through the use of bacteria, to then add other ingredients, such as thickener, which gives them a texture similar to that of dairy cheeses. Obviously, along the way, they lose a lot of protein and calcium, but they gain in ease of digestion, since they do not contain gluten or lactose.
On the other hand, vegan cheeses know very well how to play with the fermentation time to obtain an adapted flavor very close to that of the best traditional cheeses.
Answering the original question,what is vegan cheese made of? Here are the most common ingredients in the production of vegan cheese:
- Soy milk
- Dried fruits (Cashews, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts and macadamia nuts)
- protein (peas and potatoes)
- Seeds (Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
- coconut oil
- seasoning (Onion, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic or aromatic herbs)
Guide to Vegan Cheeses
To consume vegan cheese, you have two options: make it yourself or buy it made. The reality is that the vegan cheese market guide It is becoming more and more extensive and accessible to all. If you don’t know which one to choose, here is one essential guide to vegan cheeses.
- Goat cheese – This is a soft cheese spread and a good option to start with vegan cheese. Among the most recognizable brands of vegan goat cheese is tree lineone of the best known in the world.
- boursin cheese – Vegan cheeses Boursin They are also very sweet and you have them in many flavors and combinations.
- Double cream cheese – Of the vegan double cream cheeses, the most important is Miyoko’s Creamery. Ideal to accompany with fresh white wine on a spring evening.
- Mozzarella – Miyoko’s Creamery’s also offers excellent vegan mozzarella cheese. Now, if you want to change, we recommend you Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella. A delight.
- cheddar cheese – If you are looking for a stronger cheese, an alternative is the vegan option of Cheddar cheese, where Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheddar It has a smoked variety which is a real treat.
- Chebrie cheese – If you’ve never heard of pairing aged cheddar and brie cheese, you’re in luck because you’re about to try one of the best pairings in foodie history. In this case, it is the mark hunting dog one that offers an alternative to the Chebrie that is blessed glory.
- Gruyere – Again it is hunting dog which offers the best alternative to traditional Gruyère. An option that does not lose any properties in terms of flavor and that comes with a delicious smoky edge.
- Parmesan cheese – Vegan parmesan is one of the most common and you have many options on the market, but rebel cheese It has that little something special that will make you fall in love.
Vegan Cheese Recipes
Finally, we give you a vegan cheese recipe so you can make your own cheese at home. It’s a simple, quick and economical recipe that will have you eating your own vegan cheese in less than half a day. It’s a herbal cashew cheese vegan recipe
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 250 grams of raw cashew nuts
- 100 ml of rejuvelac
- 10ml lemon juice
- 10ml nutritional yeast
- 2.5g dehydrated garlic powder
- 2.5 g dehydrated onion powder
- 10 g chopped chives
- 5 g chopped fresh dill
- A pinch of sea salt
Prepare the herbal cashew cheese vegan recipe It will take you a little over 10 minutes. Of course, there needs to be a precedent and that is that you put the cashew nuts in water for 12 hours, before you start making your vegan cheese. When they’ve been soaking for half a day, take them out and start making the recipe.
- Put the cashews, rejuvelac, lemon, yeast, garlic, onion and salt in a bowl and beat on high speed until smooth. homogeneous paste.
- Pour the contents into a glass container, cover it with a clean cotton cloth and let it sit for 12 hours until fermentation.
- After 12 hours, add the chives and dill and it will be ready to consume
- Being in a glass jar, you can cover it and keep it in the refrigerator, where it will last between 3-4 weeks
As a recommendation, the best option to accompany this vegan cashew cheese with herbs These are raw vegetables and fresh fruits. However, the possibility of spreading it on bread or toast is also sensational.