Smog surrounds us in modern cities, in some to a greater degree, in others to a lesser degree. whatwhat is smog? It is a form of air pollution that negatively affects our health, as it promotes the onset of asthma, allergies and other respiratory diseases. In ElBlogVerde we tell you what is smog, causes, types and consequences
What is smog?
The first thing is to start by defining what smog is, an unusual word. The denomination Smog comes from English and is a mixture of smoke Yes fog (smoke and fog). He gets this nickname because he looks like a dirty fog. However, it is not a cloud of smoke but rather a cloud produced by the environmental pollution.
In fact, the typical smog can be said to be the result of large amounts of air pollution. In particular, smoke from burning coal as well as gas emission cars and industries or factories.
In many large cities, such as in the capital of Spain, Madrid, it is implanted much as restrictive media in such areas, indicating that certain vehicles, with considerable antigüedad and causing contamination but high, no podrán circular nor estar en el centro de the city. This caused much criticism and disagreement, but contamination levels have been shown to drop.
Causes of smog
To know the causes of smog, you shouldn’t go too far either. Basically, just look at the atmosphere and look for the origin of the gases contaminants who will devastate it Reality points to three causes of smog as the main sources of the problem:
- industrial activity – Large factories operate every day of the year and in many cases its effects are evident. The emission of polluting gases affects not only the air, but also water and soil. In the end, his entire area of influence ends up being a desert wasteland.
- combustion vehicles – The days of fossil fuel vehicles are numbered. Little by little, electric cars will become the majority, freeing the atmosphere from the pollution it has suffered for decades.
- To lose – Recycling is not easy, neither for a citizen nor for an administration. In fact, poor management of certain polluting wastes is the third cause of smog. It is for this reason that we must be aware of what we can contaminate if we do not dispose of our leftover food and other products, especially now that everything is linked to plastic.
Types of smog
Currently there are two types of smog: sulphurous Yes photochemical. Both dangerous and polluting, but of different origins. Now it is worth knowing more about each of them. These are the types of smog.
- smog photochemical
- It occurs mainly in summer. It appears when sunlight and nitrogen oxide in the environment react. Ozone, present in the atmosphere, is a highly reactive element. So, when it comes in contact with contaminants, it becomes a highly toxic element, resulting in considerable contamination.
- peroxyacyl nitrates, formaldehyde or hydroxyl radicals these are the substances into which it has just become. These gases are the ones that form the famous berets or clouds of pollution, which change suspended water into unbreathable and harmful air.
- The first time in history that photochemical smog appeared was in Angels. was the year 1943 when nitrogen oxide is combined with vehicle smoke and sunlight. The result was ground-level ozone and peroxyacyl nitrate. An environment that, in addition to suppressing the light, considerably harmed the health of Angelenos.
- smog sulphurous
- Also known as industrial or reductant pollution, it originated in historically industrial cities such as London Either Chicago. The reason is that the coal used in the industries left the air full of sulfur oxides. This, combined with the water in suspension, is transformed into sulfurous acid. This element is what generates the dangerous acid rain
- Sulphurous smog manifests itself in the form of very dense fog. Its effects are very harmful, both for people and for the environment. This affects not only fauna and flora, but also buildings, machines and, in general, everything that is in its area of influence.
- Over the years, many countries have developed ways to eliminate sulfur smog. To do this, directly they burn it in specific dispersal facilities. Of course, not all countries have it. These nations that are still developing are going through a process that others went through decades ago.
The consequences of smog
Despite the fact that there are people who minimize it, the consequences of smog They are dangerous and disturbing. We review what are the consequences of smog
- Reduce visibility – This is the obvious consequence, but it must be mentioned. With the smog it generates, the vision of citizens is greatly limited
- Irritation – The entire respiratory system is affected by this smog. The worst part is that a first cough can end up turning into bronchitis, which is much more harmful to the body.
- Anemia – Carbon monoxide from smog prevents the lungs and blood from renewing their oxygen, which can lead to anemia
- allergic – On the most complicated days or on rainy days, pollutants emerge and multiply the congestive effect that affects allergy sufferers.
- Reduces concentration – Smog is a serious problem for children. Not only does it complicate the task of concentration, but it complicates a child’s normal learning task.
- skin lesions – The skin absorbs this Smog and, with it, all its polluting agents.
- eye redness – The eyes are the most sensitive part of the human body. If they are subjected to Smog, the least is that they turn red.
- damage the plants – Plants do not have clean air to breathe and the air they absorb is polluted. It is as if the plants were smoking.
- Flu – Pathogens hang in the air, waiting for someone to walk by and catch them. In two days, a flu.
- Heart disease – The body does not have enough oxygen for the heart to function freely. Forcing it can end up having negative consequences.
- The death – Smog kills hundreds of people every year. It is not a quick or painful death, but the body is charged from within.
- increase in heat – The greenhouse effect generated by smog is dangerous. The heat generated by human activity cannot pass through the toxic cloud, it accumulates and raises the average temperature.
You might also like: