This recipe for cheese-stuffed breaded peppers can be made with conventional or vegan processed cheese.
It is an ideal dish to snack on before a meal or as an accompaniment to a cold beer. When serving, it should be freshly fried so that it is crispy and the cheese is well melted.
For the dough, you can use wheat flour and breadcrumbs to make it crispy. It is also possible to use gluten-free pasta for celiacs.
Some tips for preparing these peppers and making them perfect:
- The most important thing is to fill the pepper well, pressing the cheese so that it fits as much as possible.
- Ideally, use small or medium sized peppers. Italian peppers are ideal for their elongated shape and size.
- Hot peppers can be used if you want to make a more playful dish.
3 Italian green peppers 300-400 g shredded mozzarella (vegan option) 1/2 bowl of water 5 tbsp chickpea flour wheat flour breadcrumbs with garlic and parsley sunflower oil skewer sticks
- Remove the top cover from the peppers (set aside) removing the seeds which are bitter. They wash and drain very well.
- Top with shredded mozzarella, pressing down very very well until there is no more cheese.
- Mix 1/2 bowl of water with 5 tablespoons of chickpea flour. Beat well until there are no more lumps.
- Prepare a plate with wheat flour and another with garlic breadcrumbs and parsley.
- We take the peppers and close with the lid. Holding the bell pepper and lid firmly with your hand, dip them into the gram flour mixture, then roll them through the batter.
- They are well coated, on all sides and by pressing the wheat flour so that it adheres well.
- Make a second pass in the chickpea mixture and batter.
- Finally, it is again coated only in wheat flour, pressing well to seal the coating.
- Stick a skewer toothpick in each pepper so that it does not collapse during cooking.
- Finally, heat 1/2 finger of sunflower oil in a frying pan and brown the peppers on both sides.
- Serve hot, alone or with a sauce of your choice.