There are many natural ingredients that can help us increase our defenses, many of them considered superfoods. This is the case of those who make up this homemade syrup that will help you prevent certain diseases, especially those of the cold months.
There are key times of the year, such as sudden changes of season, the beginning of autumn, also in times of stress or lack of energy when it is advisable to resort to natural remedies to stimulate the immune system. and thus increase the body’s defenses.
All foods provide us with the vitamins, minerals and nutrients that our body needs, but some do it in a more important way, which is why they are considered superfoods and are very good allies in cooking recipes and also in the natural medicine cabinet.
To make this syrup we offer three superfoods:
- Organic citrus fruits.
Next, we tell you about its properties.
We know that citrus fruits count as main contribution to our diet, a good dose of vitamin C. But they also have folic acid. Both are ideal for increasing defenses.
These fruits also help with fatigue and listlessness as they stimulate the production of serotonin, a hormone that tends to decline during the cold months and even cause what is known as “seasonal affective disorder”.
Derived from aromatherapy, citrus essential oils also collaborate with moods, providing a feeling of joy and happiness.
In the preparation of this syrup we will use citrus zest for its high concentration of nutrients. For this reason, it is essential that they are of ecological origin to avoid pesticides, waxes and commercial dyes that would alter our syrup.
Propolis or propolis is one of the best natural antibiotics that exist, along with garlic.
It is made by bees, from the waxes and resins present in plants, they use it to seal the hives and fight against the attacks of bacteria and viruses.
- Its high content of bioflavonoids is what defines its antibiotic and antiviral power, very important in the case of respiratory diseases.
- Propolis is also distinguished by its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and remineralizing properties.
In the elaboration of this syrup we will use propolis extract or tincture, here you can see how it is done.
It is a spice widely used in oriental cuisine. It is an excellent ally in the natural medicine cabinet, thanks to its analgesic, anti-inflammatory, detoxifying, antioxidant and antitumor properties.
Turmeric should be a common spice in our dishes, since its flavor is not too strong and this allows us to add it to almost any recipe, even sweets, and benefit from its properties.
Its main characteristic is the yellow hue it will give to dishes, similar to that of saffron.
- 1 kg of citrus fruits with their zest, of your choice
- 3 tablespoons of propolis tincture or liquid extract (30 ml)
- Two tablespoons of turmeric powder (20 g)
- 4 tablespoons of honey (100 g)
- We are going to wash the citrus fruits well, we are going to squeeze their juice and we are going to bring it to the boil, over very low heat, with the peeling.
- We will add the turmeric powder and the honey, and we will let this preparation cook for half an hour on a very low heat.
- Once the half hour has passed, we will remove from the heat and let the preparation warm up.
- When it is at room temperature, filter it and add the propolis.
- We will store it in the refrigerator, in a tightly closed dark glass jar.
How is this syrup consumed?
We will take a tablespoon on an empty stomach and another before going to bed, for a month.
To note: Propolis is not recommended in case of allergic asthma. It should also not be taken for long periods, but in a timely manner.