Do you have lots of lemons? Don’t waste their shells! You can enjoy lemon peels and turn them into a vitamin C-rich dried lemon powder. The result is a unique, delicious, sweet and tangy powdered condiment that has many uses.
Not just lemon, you can make it with any kind of citrus peel, like orange peel.
There are times when we have a lot of lemons at home, in order not to waste them, we have to be creative with ways to take advantage of them. For example, we can make a homemade cleanser with vinegar, or make dehydrated lemon powder, that’s what we’re going to learn today. Lemon is a fruit with a thousand or one uses!
Making homemade lemon powder is a great way to reduce our waste, and it’s also very easy to make. It is recommended to dry the lemon peels in a food dehydrator.
How to make dehydrated lemon powder.
Get lemon zest.
You should look for organic lemons, free from toxic chemicals that accumulate on the skin. Ideally, use fresh lemon zest.
The ideal is to use a good handful of shellfish. You can accumulate them for a week by storing them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Prepare the shells.
It depends on the type of lemons. As a general rule, the white layer should be removed from the inside of the shells.
Dehydrate the lemon zest.
You can dry the lemon peels using a food dehydrator or, if you don’t have one, you can dry them in the oven.
Using the dehydrator will be quite simple, they are made for this function.
Usando el horno de tu casa, sólo tienes que poner las cáscaras de limón en una bandeja, precalientar el horno a la temperatura más baja possible, y horne las cáscaras de limón a baja temperatura hasta que estén completamente dry, crujientes y se partan fácilmente por half. The time of the process will depend on the type of hulls, the finer it is the faster it will be.
If you live in a place with a hot climate, you can first dry them in the sun for a few days before cooking them, this way you will reduce the time needed in the oven and save energy.
Turn the lemon zest into a powder.
Once the lemon zest is totally dry, it’s time to grind it into powder.
For this, we will use a blender, a food processor or a coffee grinder.
Place the shells in the blender and chop until we have a fine powder. We can use a fine mesh strainer over a bowl to sift it. We repeat the process until we manage to turn all the shells into powder.
Store and use.
Ideally, store the lemon powder in an airtight glass container. We will store the container in a dry and cool place. If the peels have been properly dried and stored, this homemade lemon powder should last us over a year.
What to do with lemon zest powder.
You can use dehydrated lemon zest powder to:
- Add it to the dressing.
- Use it in sauces like guacamole, hummus, or yogurt sauce.
- Mix it with salt, pepper and/or dried herbs to make lemon pepper or other custom blends to your liking.
- Sprinkle it over sautéed vegetables, during or after cooking.
- Add it to baked goods, such as sweet breads, cupcakes, cookies, biscuits…
- Add it to the cooking water of the artichokes to give it a touch of flavor.
- Add lemon powder to your favorite tea.
- Sprinkle with plain yogurt.
- Add it as an ingredient in homemade body care products, such as bath teas, balms, body scrubs, face masks, or soaps.
- Use dried lemon powder as a substitute for lemon zest in any recipe. Use 1 teaspoon of lemon powder for each tablespoon of fresh lemon zest requested.
- Sprinkle lemon powder over avocado toast with salt and pepper.
Experiment with it in your meals, you will surely find many other uses for it.
Always remember to share the one you have left 😉