The human being interacts with the world, knows it, explores it and learns to communicate through the senses. Without vision, taste, smell, touch and hearing, we would have a rather limited view of the world around us. And there are professionals who estimate that we have at least 15 varied and complex senses that allow us to perceive, interact, acquire self-awareness, verbal language and other abilities typical of our living condition. be thoughtful and functional.
However, due to different factors, one or more of the senses may cease to function or never fulfill their function in our body. One of the most recurrent is hearing, but thanks to advances in medical technology, tools have been created to meet this need. This is the case of the hearing aids and in this article we explain what they are, when to know you need them and the types.
What are hearing aids?
Hearing aids are clinically valuable resources that consist of small devices that are inserted into the ear canal and conduct sound into the ear. Sound consists of the propagation of mechanical waves through a medium which generates the vibratory movement of a body. The ability to hear is of great importance for the development of society, since language is primarily a form of communication with the outside world.
These devices replace the ability to perceive mechanical waves of sound and operate on batteries. They contain a microchip with an amplifier that converts incoming noise into a digital code. The sound is then adjusted according to the conditions and needs of each patient in an efficient way. And finally, the amplified signals are converted back into sound waves and conducted to the ear via loudspeakers.
I need a hearing aid when…
If you have any of the following symptoms, it is necessary that you go to an audioprosthetist, called an otolaryngologist, to make a check-up and evaluate the possibility of installing a hearing aid.
- Need to watch television, listen to the radio or music with a very high volume, remember that it is recommended not to exceed a volume of 15 to 20.
- Conversational difficulty. If in the middle of a conversation you constantly have to ask “What?” and you have trouble following the thread or hearing certain words and sounds.
- If you hear a sharp ringing in your ear, it is necessary to go to a professional. Typically, this sound means there is an ear infection, earwax, or other hearing abnormality that may cause loss of this ability and require the use of a hearing aid.
- In the case of infants and young children who have failed assessment by behavioral audiometry or auditory evoked potentials, studies which are generally rigorous in many countries for assessing hearing ability.
- If you notice that your child has not reached developmental milestones in terms of verbal language by the time they reach one year of age. Keep in mind that before considering a more sensitive diagnosis, such as autism spectrum disorder, functional hearing medical assessments are done to understand why your toddler is not speaking or having verbiage. suitable for his age.
Ideal hearing: seek advice from professionals
Ideal Hearing is a company born in 2012 whose mission is to help all people with hearing problems to resume a normal life. It is a clear and transparent brand that has positioned itself in the market to offer 100% satisfaction to its customers and users. In their catalog, you get high-end and latest generation hearing aids at affordable prices and the best thing is that they have a four-year warranty. You can schedule an appointment very easily by visiting their website.