Climate change is the alteration of normal local temperatures and the modification of rainfall and wind behavior over prolonged periods due to the increase in the temperature of the earth due to the excessive presence of greenhouse gases.
The consequences of climate change have already been felt, this brings with it an increase in natural phenomena such as floods, droughts, changes in rainy seasons, intense cold or heat, fires, melting ice in the snowy mountains.
The climatic threat is at the origin of the drought, the scarcity of water in most of the country and particularly in our department, causes significant losses in crops and livestock with the resulting food shortage.
With the scarcity of water and food, the general community of the department must adopt the capacity to adapt to the situation of risk and implement measures to overcome this situation, or in the case of the worst scenario of disaster, such as the shortage of food and water.
In this way, this innovative research proposal was born with its own funding to later develop a productive business seeking funding.
BIOTECHNOLOGY is an alternative for food security in recent times, therefore the present study will use techniques of this science in the development of the study.
Law 602 on Risk Management obliges state public institutions to introduce actions and resources for risk management, for example, changes in cultivation patterns to adapt to adverse environmental conditions, among others .
Adaptation to climate change to contribute to the reduction of vulnerabilities, established in Law 300 (Framework Law of Mother Earth and Integral Development for Living Well).
- Try a new technique called organic hydroponics.
- Testing behavior of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum), var. expert
- Use BIOFERT organic fertilizer in the nutrient solution.
- Make efficient use of water.
Since September 2016, research work begins where the respective phenological phases of cultivation are followed until culminating in the harvesting of the final product.
Development of the experimental test:
- Installation of materials and equipment.
After completing the experimental test, the following conclusion can be drawn:
- The results of this trial were important as the Program’s contribution to food security and water use efficiency actions to address the effects of climate change.
Based on the conclusion of the study, the following recommendation can be made:
- It is necessary to continue further research work to have more data, with the aim of achieving their standardization and further dissemination.
Author: Ricardo Carrion Escalante.