The vegetarian and vegan children’s menu is a challenge for families when it comes to cooking. Ideas are scarce and kids have advertising images of junk food like burgers, fries and sausages etched into their retinas, so there’s not much room to get creative with formats.
That’s why it’s sometimes convenient to be strategic and “hide” certain healthy ingredients as long as kids are consuming quality foods.
Today we share with you a recipe for sausages, hot dogs or hot dogs to which you can even add some vegan or mayonnaise sauces such as carrot mayonnaise.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 2 unit(s) of garlic
- 1 unit(s) of onion
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup Maizena corn flour
- 1 glass of nutritional brewer’s yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (tamari)
- 400 grams of canned chickpeas a boat or a can
- 1 glass of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 glass of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon paprika de la vera or smoked paprika
- Additional ingredients: a hint of liquid smoke
This is how chickpea sausages are prepared
1. On one side, mix the two types of flour, brewer’s yeast, onion, garlic and spices in a bowl.
2. On the other hand, we put the chickpeas, vegetable broth, tamari and oil in the glass of the blender and beat well until the chickpeas are crushed and some liquid remains.
3. Let’s pour this mixture little by little into the bowl with the flours and stir until it is manageable. We may need to correct and add a little more water.
4. We also add the liquid smoke so that they acquire a smoky flavor (it’s optional but it’s very good).
5. We cut pieces of foil and lay elongated portions of dough on them, giving the shape of a sausage. We close them and roll or bend the edges. As is the case with dogs, don’t run out of dough. It doesn’t matter if they are thick at the moment or if they don’t have the perfect shape, we can touch them up later.
6. We bake them for 20 minutes at 200 degrees.
7. Take them out of the oven and let them cool, unwrap the foil and refine the shape of the sausages (I slide them with my hands on the clean work surface to lengthen them further).
8. We already have our pre-cooked sausages, all that remains is to fry them, grill them on all sides or freeze them to use them another time. With these quantities, 12 large sausages come out, depending on how the dough is distributed, the quantity varies between 12 to 20 sausages.
These vegan sausages are a great option for get-togethers and kids’ birthdays, you can make a smaller variation with skewers and sauces of your choice.